Monday, September 22, 2008

Passing On Bad Habits

The other night Katie was feeling very sad about our move, transitioning to a new school and her lack of friends. I am sure there is an appropriate way to help her feel better that is approved by Dr. Spock and the American Pediatic Association. You know, some positive message that helps her open up and talk about her concerns? But I do not know what it is.

So I do what my dad did -- go out for a treat. Mixing some special one-on-one time and comfort food is, in my opinion, highly effective.

I am on the Body for Life eating plan right now, and it was not my free day, but I couldn't really offer her a protein bar and wink. I can hear me now, "Hey Katie, want to sit on the porch and have some tasty Myoplex." She would think I was punishing her, not comforting her.

No, we went to Cold Stone. After eating our ice cream silently for a while, we were able to beginning joking around and then I could talk with her about how things were going.

I imagine in this way I can pass on to Katie my healthy habit of going out for "pint" when I have a really bad day. Generally, a pint of New York Super Fudge Chunk will do the trick.

2 comments:

Paul V said...

IMO, not such a "bad" habit...as the ads say: "priceless." I'm sure Katie, and you, needed it :)

Tricia said...

No parent is doing his/her job without teaching their kids that undeniable truth: ice cream solves all problems. (except cavities & a fat gut, and in the case of coldstone~an empty wallet.)