Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pandora Radio

Ready to explore the genome of your favorite genres of music? Then log onto http://www.pandora.com/ and enter your favorite song or group and it will examine the musicological aspects the tune that gets your groove and suggest similar songs. I tried first "Oingo Boingo" and it brought up Weird Science, which is my least favorite song from those mystic nights, so I tried to really test the project and added in The Smiths with Oingo Boingo and it brought up a nice mix of Morrissey, New Order, the Cure, Boingo, the Smiths and Simple Minds. I look forward to see what Pandora will include next, but I was a little impatient to test out the projects musicality senses so I next entered "Kryptonite" by 3 doors down. A nice and predictable mix (Daugherty, Linkin Park, Nickleback and Lifehouse) came up that I enjoyed listening to. Not bad. So how about non-contemporary music? I next created a Benny Goodman station (I like jazz clarinet) and some classic Benny came up and Pete Fountain that was awesome, but I also had a bunch of jazz piano (I am not so crazy about) and some Ella Fitzgerald (who is great, but obviously not a clarinetist!). So I can give the songs on my station a thumbs up or thumbs down and my radio station "learns" to narrow its selection in the genre to the genome of musicality that I like. In the jazz clarinet station it has narrowed down the selection just to clarinet pieces and I am enjoying new songs I have never heard before in random easy listening format. Right now I am listening to Honeysuckle Rose by Benny Goodman. Nice. So give it a try and let me know how you like it.

P.S. It also gives backround of the artist and a description of the music genre the artist fits into. Enjoy and learn about your old and, hopefully, new favorite songs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started doing this and it is super cool. It's like having the perfect radio station(s). Nice tip Mr. Fosse.

nevadanista said...

People have told me about that site for a couple years now, but we've been on Rhapsody for a long time, and I've never tried it. I'll have to give it a try.

Becca said...

Love this! I just browsed the site with a friend and we had fun "creating" new stations with the songs we like!

Thanks for the fun tip!

Love ya