Friday, July 18, 2008

Review: Lounge at The Source by Wolfgang Puck

The Source, is Wolfgang Puck's newest addition to his chain of high end, highly successful restaurants. The restaurant is located in the recently completed Newseum. The decor is modern with very clean lines and seating that includes traditional table seating, but also offers booths, lounge seating, bar tables, and seats at the bar itself. The crowd was made up of the typical DC business professionals from around the Capitol, who were hobnobbing and enjoying themselves.

A rare pleasure presented to Shelley and I this week: an entire day to ourselves, no kids. So we went to one of our favorite spots -- The National Art Gallery. When the gallery closed at 5 pm, we decided to just scoot across the street to The Source. When we arrived, we found out that seating for dinner upstairs did not begin until 5:30 pm. We were starving after a grueling intellectual workout at the galleries and decided to eat downstairs in the Lounge. (We were probably also a little under dressed and the dining room prices for entrees were in the $25 to $45 dollar range. We both know that either the Lacquered Peking Duck with Bing Cherries or the "American Style" Kobe Short Ribs would have sent me to the $45 side of the menu.) The fun thing about the Lounge is that it serves a Tour de Puck snacking menu with classics from his other restaurants, such as the Kobe Beef Sliders from Cut, his Beverly Hills Steakhouse or wood-burning-oven pizzas from Spago's in LA.

Shelley and I love cheese, so we had to start with the Artisinal Cheese with Honey Comb and Quince Paste.




The dish has a very nice selection of traditional cheeses (brie, blue cheese, white cheddar, hard goat cheese and soft goat cheese). The blue cheese was a nice mild blue-green veined cheese, I do not know its name. My favorite cheese was the soft goat cheese with a vein of aromatic vegetable ash. Shelley's favorite was the brie spread on a candied walnut. Served with cranberry wheat bread, quince paste squares, apples slices, candied walnuts and honeycomb, the dish was definitely a dessert. The honeycomb was fun, but we received just a tiny square and I really wished for a tad more. While the plate was nicely crafted, it really lacked color because all the cheeses where white. I would love to have seen a rich orange English cheeder and a carmel brown Norwegian goat cheese, to give the plate more depth in color and flavor.

Next, we had the Kobe Beef Sliders. The Kobe beef was mouth watering. However, neither Shelley nor I were fans of the bread and butter pickle in the slider. Once I removed it, I think the flavor of the Kobe beef was nicely highlighted with a mix of caramelized Vivaldi and fresh red diced onions.



To finish, we had the Pork Belly Dumplings. The plating was pretty, the pork filling was nice, but it was, well, a pork dumpling like at any Chinese restaurant. I was hoping for something special. It wasn't.
The service at the Lounge is, well, bar service -- even if you are sitting at a traditional table. Our cheese plate took forever to come, and then the sliders and dumplings arrived in just a few minutes after we order them before we had finished the cheese. But the bar staff was nice bar staff.
Overall, the Lounge at The Source is a fun and casual way to taste some classic cooking from one of America's most famous chef's.

The Source (Sixth and C sts., NW; 202-637-6100; http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/finedining/the%20source/dc/index.php) is open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday. Plates on the downstairs menu range from $8 to $15. In the upstairs dining room, entrees are $25 to $45.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've decided that maybe you should consider restaurant reviewing as your day job. If I were in your area, I would definitely try the restaurant and probably even order the same things you described. The only problem, as I see it, is: How do restaurant reviewers keep from weighing a zillion pounds?

Love you-- love your blog. Mom

Marc F said...

Thanks for the comment and your very important question. For the answer, please go to www.my-body-for-life.blog.blogspot.com and read my recent postings on how I choose healthy foods when I just "had" to eat out. Because I don't know about you, but I, sometimes, just have to eat out.

Blogging is good, blogging is fun, blogging is for everyone.

Marc F said...

Oops, that should have been www.my-body-for-life-blog.blogspot.com. I was just too excited and hit the publish button without proofreading. Bad Marc!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What great food. I really enjoyed this meal. Not as much as you but it looked good! Really nice to be able to keep up with family. I look forward to more.

Aunt Tonya